Friday, January 21, 2011

Getting Out


One of the resolutions I made this year, was to get out, be a little more social, and spend a little more time with my friends. The combination of being a writer, being disabled, and having a special needs child has combined over the years into making me something of a recluse. I wasn't really aware how bad it was getting at the time, but it got to the point where I was only seeing my two best friends (Cherri and Charlie) maybe once every other week to once a month...or less. And they both live within blocks of me, in the same neighborhood.

So I try to see Cherri now once a week at our Writer's Nights Out. Yesterday, Charlie called and i realized it had been over  a month since I visited her as well. So I dropped by and we spent the morning talking about kids, jobs, and....Argiope. Charlie is one of my trusted proofreaders, and therefore has advance access to my projects. Argiope seems to be her favorite project of mine, so we discussed where that was going and how I intended to get it there.

It turned out to be a good thing to do because she had some great ideas regarding titles and covers, not to mention some good suggestions regarding issues I was trying to decide on in regards to the novel itself. So while I didn't actually end up writing anything yesterday morning, it turned out to be very productive anyways since I've now settled how I'm going to go forward with the novel. I even spent my hour at Starbucks yesterday playing on the photo editor with the idea for a book cover that we came up with.

So it might be important for Nate to get out a little more and see his friends. That's a good way to work out  ideas....but more importantly it's a good way to keep those friends. I really enjoyed myself and hadn't realized how much I missed hanging out. I'm going to have to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment