Saturday, January 23, 2010

Fleshing out the World

"Give me a girl on Candlewalk Lane, they're neither too coy nor outright profane,
Spare me the trollops with warts and big feet, the type you find on Silkwinder Street.
And I'll pass on the slatterns who carry the pox, who practice their trade on the Low Harbor Docks.
Some say Waterdancer Street is the thing, but those girls come at the price of a ring.
(chorus)
Oh give me a Candlewalk Girl, she's brassy and classy and neat.
Oh give me a Candlewalk Girl, she a sassy lassie but sweet.
(chorus)
Tis better to fondle an Issillian Boar Toad, than sleep with a tramp on Brindlefish Road.
I'd never lay with a lass in a Pick Street shack, I'd likely wake up with a knife in my back.
As for the shady tarts in the Royal Park trees, it would only be fair if they paid me.
No, give me a girl on Candlewalk Lane, who's neither to coy nor outright profane."
(repeat chorus)
-"Candlewalk Girl," a popular tavern song on Candlewalk Lane.

I intend to use more than just book quotes to open chapters. I'm also coming up with songs, chants, and childrens rhymes to give a sense of flavor to the book. Also, some of the quotes can be used for a little foreshadowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment