Thursday, October 8, 2009

Taking It Easy and Appreciating the Important Things


I did a little bit of editing today, but there is a lot more to go. It being a first draft, my critiquers found plenty for me to fix, and I have a couple of thoughts of my own where I think things need a little more expanding. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Then I read more of The Middle of Nowhere anthology that has my story, Storm Chase, in it. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the way that anthology came out. The other stories are good, and the cover is great. If I have any concerns whatsoever with it, it would probably be with the font. Courier just isn't a font I would consider for a book. It's not awful or anything like that, but it does give it a sort of "printerish" quality. New Times Roman would have worked better. All in all though, I'm very happy with the end product.

Sheridan proudly announced he had written his first story when I picked him up from school. It reads as follows . . .

"The Cake.

Once upon a time there was a bakerey. That baked cakes. But one day the bakerey lost control and made the cakes old and noone wanted anymore. They tried to fix it but it was so hard they could not fix it. But one day they did fix it and everyone did like them."

Now picture that scrawled in pencil over half a sheet of paper. It may not be much, but it's a first. And not bad for a six year old only two months into first grade. He was quite excited about it and read it to me before we left the school house. Then he informed me he still intended to be an astronaut, just so I didn't get any crazy ideas about him becoming a writer instead.

Works for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment