Friday, February 18, 2011

So, I Slept In Again



It's Friday, which means I have the option of going right back to bed after packing Rowan's breakfast and lunch for school. This time I went ahead and did that. I figured a few extra hours of sleep wouldn't do me any lasting harm...especially after I had been so good all week. Now I just need to make sure it doesn't become a habit.

I've been slowly plodding away at Argiope...less than a thousand words a day...but I have made progress. All I can say is that I think there is a good story in there somewhere, but this manuscript is going to need some major revisions.

I've also been doing some research. If I am going to stay in the fantasy/action/horror field, then I realized I needed to at least be a little more aware of what's going on in the market out there. Vampires are big, but I don't think that is going to come as a surprise to anybody. On the other hand, zombies seem to be getting bigger too. I hadn't realized they were so  popular. It seems that many monsters have their own little genre nowadays, and I'm not really writing stories in those genres. I might ought to at least try one or two, just to see how that works.

Of course, I'm an old purist so my vampires would most likely be evil, blood sucking, ancients who view humanity as self corralled cattle. ... or maybe they'll just be ticks in expensive suits... whatever, it's not a genre I'm up to date on at all so any attempt I made in that genre might be doomed. Zombies on the other hand...

Hmm...the whole zombie apocalypse, or the threat thereof, is a scenario that offers a great breadth of possibilities and situations for stories. Hmmm.... I would still need to read some of what is currently popular to see what the tastes of zombie fans run to. Oh well, more research.

Happy Friday folks...only a few more  hours till liberation!

6 comments:

  1. ZombieLand is inundated with romance! LOL LOL (falling out of my chair) Told ya...you're gonna have to brush up on your "romance". Especially since I know what your idea of it is!!! (holding my sides)

    Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zombies are a fun genre to write. One of my unpublished novels is a "zombie book". The best part about zombies is that a random attack kind of makes sense. So you always have an out if you get stuck and don't know where to take the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm...

    Derek pulled the axe free, it's blade dripping with blood and brain matter. With his other hand, he wiped his gore smeared brow and gazed over at where Laura put the last finishing stroke to a twitching adversary.

    Her buxom chest heaved and she gave a toss of her head, causing her glorious mane of chestnut hair to swirl wide and catch the golden rays of the setting sun. Her limpid eyes locked with his and desire swept over him like a tsunami.

    Striding over to her, he swept her into his sinewy arms and pulled her tight. His blood pounded in his ears, and he felt her breath catch as he buried in face in her hair and neck, and inhaled her mixed scent of sweat and rotten meat. He used his teeth to pluck a severed finger caught in her lustrous brown locks, then leaned back and spit it onto their vanquished foes while holding her recaptured gaze.

    "I can't fight it any longer," he breathed, while brushing a stray bit of ear that had stuck to her cheek. "I must have you. I most have you now!"

    "Oh yes, Derek," she breathed...dropping the machete. "Oh yes. Take me now!"

    Barely able to contain the rising tide that threatened to consume them both, they kicked the small carpet clean of severed body parts before consummating their love on the spot.


    Hmmm...maybe I CAN do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeppers, Nate, I think you might be onto something...spitting severed fingers?? lol. (I like Cargill much better!!!!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I could have said "heaving bosom"...but then I realized that in zombie stories, heaving bosoms could mean two different things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I'll bet you are a real charmer around Valentine's Day. LOL!! And I thought your BROTHER was unromantic. I agree with Cherri - I think you better stick with Cargill!

    ReplyDelete