Monday, December 20, 2010

Review: Tron Legacy


I took Sheridan to see Tron Legacy this weekend and, as the above graphic indicates, I liked it.

Let me start by saying I have never sat through the original Tron. For some reason it never grabbed my interest, and I only caught bits and pieces of it when it was showing on HBO back in the eighties. I only saw enough to get the gist of it...guy gets sucked into computer, guy has to fight for survival with aid of "program" he created, guy defeats bad guys and escapes. Overall, my  impression of the original was that it was a neat concept that would have been handled a lot better by somebody other than Disney.

So it was with mixed feelings that I took the boy. As it turned out, I enjoyed it. Now don't get me wrong, if I could have found a "stars" graphic on the internet I would have given it three and half stars out of five, so I don't think it was perfect. I just think it was a decent movie backed up by some top notch graphics. The plot was okay, the acting was okay (although I found it a little distracting when Jeff Bridges would backslide into his "Dude" persona),  the setting was fantastically done, and the action was good.

The pacing was strangely uneven. The movie starts off with a bang, and keeps going strong until up until father and son are reunited. Then what is an expected lull seems to never really be recovered from. There is more action after that, but the movie seems to have lost energy at this point. The main point of interest that never exactly gets a satisfactory answer is the fate of Tron himself (the program that aided Flynn in the first movie). I don't want to go into it more than that as it involves spoilers.

So overall, I recommend Tron Legacy. I paid full price and didn't feel cheated and that's the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

On another note, there has been a Christmas tree standing in our living room for over twenty four hours now and it still survives. Hooray! It feels like Christmas in my house  *<|:O)

No comments:

Post a Comment