Monday, March 22, 2010

Sunday Night/Monday Morning


I'm sitting at Denny's, drinking coffee (the Dr Pepper dispenser broke), reading "The Crows of Bedu," and now typing on my blog. Kind of a solitary writers night out.
.
I've been having trouble finishing the first draft of my short story, so I figured reading another authors work might help my mind relax. Sometimes it's hard to get what you want on paper, even when you know what you're trying to say. And sometimes it's even worse when you're on the last page of the story. I'm a big believer in the ending being just right. Then I'm going to have to go back and work out some rough parts. There are some places it just doesn't flow right, and feels rushed. Reading your work out loud is a good way to find things like that.
.
Tomorrow the kids go to school. Spring break is over. I imagine Rowan will be happy...after she gets over being grouchy about having to wake up early. Sheridan was enjoying his time at home more, but I think that's normal as they get older. I'll be up all night myself as I try to rotate my schedule around to school days again. Oh well, what must be done...must be done.
.
Onwards and upwards.
.
UPDATE: The first draft of "The Barrow Wolf" is now complete. It still needs work though. This is the first story taking place in the same world as Cargill of Khrem that I have written since finishing the novel. It takes place in a land clear across the continent from Khrem, in a country called Issil, and has nothing to do with the first novel other than sharing the same world and a monster Cargill briefly refers to in the prologue. I may go back and include an Issillian creature mentioned in the third part of "The Ways of Khrem," just for continuity sake. On the other hand, two charactors in the short story (if you can call eight thousand words a short story), Perisa and Magrit, are intended to show up in a later novel with Cargill down the road.
.
I haven't yet decided the intended market for this story yet. I may very well offer it for free as a bonus on my future website. I'll have to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment