Friday, July 30, 2010

Preliminary Things


So I finished the first draft of The Flight of the Coral Horn.

The thing about writing is, at this stage nothing is set in stone. I am not convinced I went the right direction with this story, and I'll be printing it out for proofing later. And while the title is nice, I'm not convinced it fits the story well, and that might change yet too. So other than the title and plot, things are static.

I guess since I use this blog to sort of "think out loud" as I go along, it kind of shows how projects can change and morph as they move towards completion. I'm not just writing, I'm planning titles and book covers as well. This means I do a lot of preliminary work that can be radically altered before the final product is submitted for publication.

You can kind of see that process going on in my other project, now currently titled "Shades." It was originally envisionede as a four story ghost anthology, that has now morphed into a series that will one day end in an anthology instead. That project is much more mature, and is in pretty much it's final form...at least the first story. There is still a chance the second may have a different ghost on it's cover if I can come up with something decent.

Well, that's it for now. I will try to update the blog from Galveston when I can over the next week. I don't know what kind of internet access I will have, or what kind of opportunity I will get to use it. We shall all just have to wait and see. That's just the way that both writing and life works. You never know what you're going to end up with until you have it.

1 comment: