Saturday, July 10, 2010

From The Princess Bride to Hemingway


I spent the better part of the day with "Storybook Love," the theme to The Princess Bride, playing in the background. After seeing that movie the other day, it stuck in my mind like it always does. I started to wonder what it was about that movie that made it work so well.

While it did have a cast of actors who would turn out to be good, they were mostly nobodies at the time...with the exception of a few TV actors. The film didn't have much in the way of a budget either. I realized while thinking about it, how simple and elegent of a story it really was. The charactors were all painted in broad strokes, yet the movie respected itself despite it's silly aspects and had a real heart at it's core. And it was all done with minimal sets or complexity, and a straightforward clarity.

Which brings me to Hemingway.

I've read some of Ernest Hemingway's works before, and have always admired his ability to sum up a moment with that same simple minimalism. And since I've now got a kindle reader on my laptop, I thought it time to use it to good effect. So I bought the complete set of Hemingways short stories.

 They will provide both good reading and a great example of good writing to inspire myself with. It's always good to see what the other guy has done, and why not go ahead and get the best. I used to be a voracious reader when I was young, and I need to start reading more again. And Hemingway is simply the best author I could think of to start with.

Ah well, I need to get to bed because all to soon it will be me for whom the alarm tolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment