Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Maybe Audiences are Different


So what has changed? Why don't you see offerings like Tarantula anymore? The Beast from 50,000 Fathoms? Creature from the Black Lagoon?

Is it the audience?

I know at the last two "horror" movies I was at, the whole emphasis seemed to be different. I honestly don't think the audience was there to be scared. I think they were there to cheer on the killer, and get a gratuitious thrill out of whatever creative way he bumps off the latest teenager. It's a game that the director plays with a sly wink to the audience, who is completely in on it.

And don't even get me started on CGI. CGI has ruined more movies with potential than I can count. Directors suddenly given the ability to show anything, never stop to ask if they should show anything. There is no art to it anymore.

Oh well, thats my rant for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment