Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What It's All About


Why do I write?

The odds are weighted heavily against me making a fortune at this. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of writers would make more on a minimum wage job than the money they make off of their stories. I know these odds, and yet here I sit hammering away on the keyboard. So why do it?

Because...

Because there is always that chance. Because there is that desire to put the best stuff I can out there and do the best I can with it. Because I like the fact that what I do puts me in the company of the likes of Ray Bradbury, Fritz Leiber, Edger Allen Poe, and Ernest Hemingway, even if I never see their kind of success. Because when somebody asks what I am, I can say I'm a writer. Because I used to enjoy telling stories, and now have found a better way to get them out there. Because I can actually hold up a book in my hand and say, "I wrote that."

And because I want to get read.

Even if I don't sell a lot of books and stories, I can watch every sale appear on my tracker at Amazon and know that somebody out there is reading one of my books or stories. It's an amazing feeling that I don't know how to describe. But every little bump in the numbers means I'm being read again, and that's what it's really all about. Getting read. Bringing something into this world that somebody else can hold and find value in. It's like making a tiny piece of this world mine, because I made it...and it will always be there for somebody to pick up and read.

That's what it's all about.

PS: Dear Harper Collins. If you DO suddenly decide to send supermodels waving fistfuls of cash to my front door, nothing in the above post should be construed as meaning that I would send them away. Just sayin...

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, HC missed out BIG time on you!!!! lol. But what you said about being "read," is so dead on...
    Thank you for putting it down so eloquently.
    Cherri

    ReplyDelete