Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fort Tenoxtitlan

Centered in the bow of the pictured creek is the site of Fort Tenoxtitlan, roughly between modern College Station and Caldwell. It was abandoned by or before 1860, due to repeated Indian raids. There is no road to the site itself, only an old historical marker nearby and a newer historical marker on Highway 21 where the old Camino Real crossed the Brazos. Reportedly, nothing remains of Fort Tenoxtitlan or it's nearby township, an easy thing to believe after my recent visit to the old site of Port Sullivan. But, after the Civil War, there probably should have still been ruins there . . . a thought that makes an interesting setting for a possible story.

Unfortunately, I am going to be very busy for the rest of this week in preparation for our vacation in Galveston. That means no real chance at writing. So I'm pretty much reduced to just brainstorming for ideas until I return from vacation. That's about eleven days. So I guess the trick is not to force it, but just relax and see what comes to me. Hopefully I'll get to do some research while I'm in Galveston as well. I need fuel for the little grey cells to chew on so I can do some serious writing when I return.
View Larger Map

1 comment:

  1. I HEAR THERE MIGHT BE SOME TREASURE BURIED NEARBY, I GREW UP ON THAT LAND, LEFT IN THE SIXTYS, REGGIE SMITH EMAIL toshak17@yahoo.com,

    ReplyDelete