Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Easter and Stuff!


So, I crossed the thirty thousand word threshold on Dead Stop tonight. Not bad for a story I only started on March 27th. I would dearly love to keep this rate of production up, but I'm not sure if that is going to be possible over the course of this weekend. It's a three day weekend for the kids, and somebody went and had a holiday at the end of it.

Sigh.

Anyways, writing around kids is just something I'm going to have to work on as the summer approaches. I'll have them both home all day over the summer, so it's going to behoove me to come up with some strategies to cope with that.

One of those is going to have to be writing times set aside for that and nothing else. Since the kids go to bed at 8:30, I'm thinking between the hours of nine and midnight will have to become scheduled writing times when I'll just have to have the discipline not to let my activities wander to other things. Being more focused will help make up for shorter writing times...a little bit.

Lowering expectations and choosing projects tailored to my time limitations will also go a long way towards preventing me from pulling my hair out. Dedicating the summer to nothing but short stories might be a good idea. That way I can feel like I'm getting more done while I'm actually putting out less word count. It sounds like a practical solution that will head off some bad feelings.

It's helpful to remember that thirty thousand words I've done over the past twenty four days would equal four or five of my usual short stories. So I have been productive. I just need to finish something so I can publish. Publishing is good. Publishing makes Nate happy. It's nearly the end of April and all I've published this year is one short story. So that needs to change.

Hopefully summer will provide that change.

No comments:

Post a Comment