Thursday, July 9, 2009

Steamboats on Texas Rivers


I've been kind of curious about steamboats in Texas history. They are hardly mentioned, and most people don't even know that Texas rivers were once used by them. These weren't the huge fabulous steamboats of the Mississippi, but were smaller, working cotton haulers like the one pictured. Ones like the Alabama would have been working their way up the Brazos, sometimes as far as Port Sullivan near Hearne.

I'll be curious to see if there are any mention of them in some of the Galveston museums that I hope to get the wife to let me visit. I would love to see an actual picture of some of the Texas steamboats. They would make an interesting setting for a story or two. . . but I would have a lot of research ahead of me to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment