Monday, October 11, 2010

Major Holiday


Apparently this is Columbus Day, so in honor of his discovery of the New World I slept in. That's why my blog is late today.

I was sick and in bed over the entire weekend, so the house is now a complete catastrophe after having two little baboons run loose un-picked-up-after for two days. I supposed I ought to try and work up the energy to do something about that, but at the same time I don't want to dishoner the accomplishments of the great Christopher Columbus by indulging in menial labor on his holiday. A man has to consider these things.

I did go and meet my seven year old's second grade teacher today for a parent-teacher conference. Academically, he's tops in his class...other than that he's a little goober. We all knew that, so it's all good.

I also did a writer's night out with Cherri Galbiati last night. I know, I know...I was sick all weekend, but after spending thirty six straight hours in bed, and another four or five on the couch, I figured I could handle sitting in a booth at Denny's. I had to promise the wife to adhere to a curfew of midnight, which was just as well because I tired early. I'm still not 100% but I think I'm on the mend.

Anyways, we mainly discussed how hard it is to write and promote. They are two completely different mindsets that interfere with each other in the worst way. You can't really hop from doing on to the other, and to be honest it's difficult to even do both on the same day. They are just alien mental states, and so far apart from each other that once you're in one mode, the other seems out of reach. Yet these days, a writer has to promote or his work dies on the vine...or at least it works that way for most writers. There is always that one who throws their work up there and it just takes off and sells...and the rest of us congratulate that person while trying not to hate them.

Sigh.

Oh well, I'm behind on laundry too...but there is till the matter of the Honor of Columbus being at stake, so I don't know about that either. I guess we shall see what we shall see.

Thank's Chris ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment