Friday, August 13, 2010

Writers Night Out


Cherri Galbiati and I had our weekly writers night out at Denny's last  night. We discussed all the ramifications of all the recent developments in the field of writing, and are now both immensely wiser on the subject than when we started...or at least a lot fuller of caffiene than when we started. Notes were compared and future plans discussed, along with speculating on the whole point of writing.

What is the whole point of writing?

I know that initially I had plans for one of the big publishing houses to send supermodels to my front door in order to carry me off on a litter made of cash. I realized pretty quick that wasn't going to happen, so why do I still do it? It took some thinking, but I think I've come to the conclusion that the real reason is "legacy."

Years from now, these stories I write will still be out there on the internet, or sitting in bookshelves in some peoples homes. Even after I'm gone, my voice and ideas will be there for other people to read and make of it what they will. My kids, and grandkids, and descendents beyond that can all point to those books and say "I'm related to him." I can be a part of their lives long after I'm gone.

It's like I've built my own form of pyramid for the ages...which when you think about it is a pretty cool idea. If I get rich I don't want a tombstone. I want a pyramid...with LED lights one the sides that can flash messages and pictures. Not a big one, mind you. Maybe fifteen or twenty feet tall. That's all. Nothing ostentious. But that's another idea for another blog post.  I'll work on that one.

For now, it's off to bed so I can get up and get the boy registered for school tomorrow. That way he won't spend all autumn at home with me, wondering why homeschooling seems to consist of fetching drinks from the fridge and doing Dad's housework.

Ah well, good night.

1 comment:

  1. It was a fun evening. Thanks for making me laugh till I cried! I'm gonna go read Shades: Death in White Satin...now that the sun's up. lol.

    ReplyDelete