Thursday, November 4, 2010

Diminishing Returns


I'm definitely coming to the conclusion that spending money on promotion is simply not a good idea. I ran a relatively cheap promotion campaign for The Ways of Khrem yesterday. The result was the sale of two books. Not exactly a big return on my money, and yet sadly one of the best I've had so far (at least per dollar spent). Don't get me wrong, I DO get some results...more than I got before I started promoting...but it can still be a little discouraging. I just have to remind myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm a little stuck on Argiope. It's not that I don't know where to go, it's just that I'm in a scene and it's coming out terrible. Terrible to the  point that rewriting it would affect subsequent material, so I need to back up and get it better than it is now so I can know how to go forward. I'll work on that today. If I don't get any ideas, I might shelve the project for a few days and work on something else. Maybe I'm jamming up inside. (that just sounds wrong.)

I'm sort of playing with this non-genre novella idea of a woman returning to face a man she jilted for his brother twenty years ealier...now that he needs a kidney transplant. I envision it with a lot of Hemingway style dialogue... Or not. I'm just not being productive at the moment and that makes me start casting around for other ideas.

I'm beginning to look forward to Thanksgiving. I haven't seen any of my family in a while and I'm actually starting to miss them a bit.  You would think we live in different states as opposed to just a couple of hours apart. But when everybody is busy, that couple of hours may as well be days. Ah well, Thanksgiving will be soon and I look forward to cornbread stuffing. Mmmmm....cornbread stuffing.

Now it's back tot he grind.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nate,

    I know what you mean about promotion. I did tons of promotion in the spring/summer - Many interviews and book spotlights and the results were disappointing at best. It takes so much time and energy and I got burnt out on it all. I've started to do a bit more again, Not even 4 and 5 star reviews have gotten sales so I'm not really optimistic about the outcome.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aggravating thing is that it DOES help, but only at a level nowhere near commensurate to what was invested in it. So you try again in the hopes that the next time will be better, but you get the same results. But if you don't do it, you're dead in the water and you don't get read.

    Ugh. I'm just a grouch today.

    ReplyDelete