Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Scouting, Dieting, and Writing



Behold, our new Cub Scout. He's pretty proud, and I'm proud of him.

I think Cub Scouts will be good thing for Sheridan, even if it kills Karla and I...which it might considering all the things they want us to do. I swear, nobody told me that having kids meant having to keep up with so much paperwork and activities. Now suddenly we have teachers and scoutmasters and therapists making demands on our time and braincycles. Everybody wants parental involvement nowadays...it's not like the good old days where you payed your taxes and dumped your kid at the door of the nearest public school :P

I could have just stuck with cats, but noooooooo...

I seem to be fighting a bit of writer's block, so I'm taking an extreme measure. I'm going to go strict GFCF for a little while. I usually avoid the gluten, but I do cheat from time to time, and I haven't been sweating cross contamination at all. And since I didn't quite test a firm positive for casien intolerance, I've not really worried about milk products lately. Yet the fact remains it was when I went on a strict GFCF diet two and a half years ago that I suddenly started writing. I decided to test and see if I need to clean things out a little so I'm going to go back on it. Just for two or three weeks, to see if it makes a difference with the writing.

My first year I wrote one publishable novel and twelve publishable short stories. This year I have definitely fallen off that pace. I've got one half of a novel done, six short stories (well, in all fairness three are novelettes which equal 1 1/2 short stories), and a couple of flash fictions. Not so good. I need to figure out what's up with that. The main thing is that I haven't been productive at all lately.

Time to figure out why and get back to work.

3 comments:

  1. Possibly your goals are set just a tad high? Relax, kick your feet up and take some time to soak in your surroundings--I do believe your muse will strap her wings back on, once you've rested and can rekindle the flame. We all go through it. :)
    On the other hand, you should be giving yourself major back pats! If you were to gather all the time you've had to put into "promotion" this year, compared to the first year--I think you'll find your answer. (just sayin')

    Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I MUST say, that the handsome young man in the Cub Scout suit is one of the most HANDSOME I've ever seen in my life!

    Good going, Sheridan,
    Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cherri on both points. You have been highly productive both years, just in different ways. AND your son is a very handsome boy in his scout uniform. Tell him Aunt Steph and Uncle Randy are proud of him!

    If you had actually been paying attention :-) you would have known kids were a lot of work. Just look at what Randy and I went through with Courtney. There was a reason we shambled around with a glazed look in our eyes for years. I was never so happy as when the girl child got tired of scouts in high school and got her driver's license!

    ReplyDelete