Thursday, February 11, 2010

Trying Different Things


Yesterday I decided to do things a little different when taking my daughter for her Weds therapy sessions.
.
I usually end up sitting out in the waiting room for two hours as she has one therapy session right after another. Most days I use this time to either read a book, or go over a short story manuscript if I have on printed out. Today though, I decided to take my laptop instead.
.
The first thing I learned is that my laptop case does not hold diapers near as well as my bookbag does. This was a bit of an obstacle, but I persevered and managed to cram a diaper down in there. Then I found out that my large, seventeen inch widescreen laptop doesn't exactly fit well in my lap at all. So once again I improvised and filched all the magazines they had off a little round sitting table and pulled the table over beside my chair.
.
Then I had to fight off the temptation to pass the time playing mah-jong.
.
That was a challenge too, but I pulled it off. Finally, with all the distractions behind me I managed to write the opening page of a short story. It needs work, but at least it's production. I'll take that any day. Thursday, I have the house to myself most of the day so I will hopefully get more done. The house is in good shape so I can focus on my writing. Let's hope I come up with something...and steer clear of the devil waters of mah-jong.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... sitting for hours in a waiting room while a therapist works with your kid. Seems like a ripe scenario for a pretty horrific story, if you have that kind of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my case it's the most peaceful hours of the week. But I see what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete