Friday, February 19, 2010

Splat!


So, my six year old apparently did a swan dive onto the brick hearth of our fireplace. Head met bricks, and the bricks turned out to be harder. What ensued was a frantic flurry of phone calls, bloody paper towels, tears, and Karla making one of the fastest trips home I've ever seen. In the confusion I dropped Stinkerbell off with my friend Charlie, only to turn around and pick her up again when Karla made it home so fast that she could take the boy to the emergency room instead of me. Then another friend, Cherri Galbiati, had to take our insurance card to Karla because we couldn't find it at the time Karla left and I was stuck home watching Rowan.
.
So a big thanks to my friends Charlie and Cherri.
.
In the end, they sewed a one inch hole in his forehead shut at the emergency room. Now he is sleeping on the couch, while I work on my writing. I don't know if he will go to school tomorrow or not. He thinks he can, but I bet he wakes up sore tomorrow. We'll see.
.
I'm now starting Part 2 of "Argiope". I'm kind of feeling my way through it at this point, trying to keep the situation and behaviors realistic enough to keep the reader interested, while trying not to get in the way of the plot. So far, so good. I also intend to go back and insert some things into Part One. Just a couple of short scenes and descriptions that could add to foreshadowing and flesh a couple of parts out.
.
So far the reviews from my proofreaders seem positive, even though it was a first draft that just crawled with no-nos like "was", "had", and "-ly" adverbs". I tend to squash those things when doing my second and third drafts. For now, I just wanted to make sure the scenes and charactors were making the proper impressions and setting the proper moods. My first drafts are always broad strokes.
.
Which is why I learned to make double sure never to accidently mail a first draft to a publisher. Trust me, it can happen. Then all you can do is just apologize for all the mistakes, and send them the correct draft.
.
I wonder if publishers are used to writer's pulling idiotic stunts like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment