Monday, December 7, 2009

Moving Slowly Along

As the pace of the story picks up, my writing slows down. This is always the most difficult part, because word selection is dictated as much by timing and pace, as it is for being descriptive. The purpose of the sentence becomes both to relate the events and to dictate the flow. That kind of double duty causes word choice to be a lot more delicate and really slows me down from time to time.

You would think with that kind of attention being paid to what I'm writing that editing would hardly be necessary, but alas, that's not the way it works. Editing is always necessary because the writing gods are cruel and take delight in our labors. They expect large sacrifices in the form of red ink and virtual whiteout. It's just their way.

On another note, I'm thinking about getting the kids a tree this Christmas. We've avoided that because of Rowan but I think she's old enough to learn to leave it alone. Walmart sells shatterproof ornaments, so it's a possibility. We'll see. I'll have to decide soon though.

No comments:

Post a Comment