Monday, December 21, 2009

Making Use of the Break


I had decided that I was going to take a break from writing for the rest of the year. I made my goal of twelve stories and felt a trifled burned out. So naturally a few days into enjoying my break from writing I suddenly find myself with an idea for a short story. And truthfully, it could be a pretty good one.
But. . .
I'm honestly not thrilled about it. I still want to take my break, and I want to look over the body of my work and think about things. I have noticed certain trends in my short stories, and although they also have their differences, I want to make sure I don't start just writing variations of the same story over and over again. I know I'm not doing that yet, but I think it is worthwhile to make the extra effort to avoid that. I think of it as quality control.
So I think what I'll do is work out the short story in my head, but do a little analysis of my work up to this date and see how it all breaks down. I'll do a little of that in my next post. Besides, I still have Christmas shopping to do and don't have a lot of time to write at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment