Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gathering Data

A man named Robert J. Ringer once postulated that "Reality isn't the way you wish things to be, nor the way they appear to be, but the way they actually are." He then went further to state that "You either work with reality, or it will automatically work against you."

So keeping those principles in mind, I have been gathering data on the advertising campaign I've been running, as well as paying close attention to all of my other experiences in my new career as a writer. I behooves me to gather as much information as I can, so I can make the best judgement possible as to what the realities are. And while all my information is preliminary, I'm starting to realize the writing business of today is a far cry from what I imagined it to be. I will be running another experiment soon, in the form of publishing an ebook short story, to round out my data a little bit. I want to be able to move forward with informed confidence, and the only way to do that is to gather all the data that I can.

On another front, today is Rowan's last day of school. It's a short day, which means I will have three final hours of semi-peace (the boy is home, after all), before I start sharing all my days with a rambunctious four year old. Then she will launch her summertime project of seeing if  she can drive Daddy into pulling out all his hair. I'm sure she has gathered her data and is ready to move forward with confidence as well.

Oh well, that which does not kill me, makes me stronger...or bald.

No comments:

Post a Comment