Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Forging Ahead


Blogging early tonight, because the men who will be installing our new central air conditioning unit will be here around eight in the morning and access to the computer will be tough. That's okay, I'm willing to sacrifice a little time away from the computer to have it be below ninety degrees in my house. I'm just wishy-washy that way.

I've been thinking about my current and upcoming writing projects and events...and what possible changes or adaptations need to be made. Currently I have stories in five anthologies out with two small presses, with seven more stories in four other anthologies on the way. I have one novel out with Pill Hill Press. And I have one independently published short story on the kindle. Not bad. I would call it a good start.

And it's been very educational watching how the market has changed in the short time I have been in the business. Things that made sense for me to do just a year ago, now pose a completely different picture. I'm having to keep learning my craft as a writer, while also learning the market around me as it evolves. And that makes planning a bit of a seat of my pants proposition. I'm kind of leaning towards working on a project by project basis, and choosing the destination of those projects based on their individual merits.

I really haven't shelved Argiope. It's more a matter of setting it aside to simmer while I jump over and do a short story or two for a different project. I'm also toying with the first glimmerings of plotlines for the sequel to The Ways of Khrem. Then there is also a vanity project I'm considering. And all of these would have different routes to publication, each based on what I think would be best for that particular projects set of circumstances.

Right now, everything is fluid and all is in motion. I'm just going to keep working, and pay close attention to what's working and what isn't.

And in case you were wondering about the fate of that raccoon in the video...

No comments:

Post a Comment