Sunday, August 16, 2009

Working on Scene Three

I'm working my way through scene three now. Naturally, I have the six year old chattering in my ear while watching Peter Pan on the computer beside me.

The third scene is primarily dialogue between Will and Rowley. The idea here is to show as much as I can through these two's conversation without coming right out and saying certain things. Also, hopefully to lay a few clues that can be recognized if the reader looks back at the end of the story. And of course, mainly to lay the foundation for the next "chapter" after that. I would like to work in a little foreshadowing as well.

Thats an awful lot for one scene that is intended to come across as ordinary as possible. We'll see if I can pull it off.

UPDATE

Finished scene three. I'm pretty content with it. It just needs a little tweaking here and there. On the other hand I am now at 2,835 words. I have to cap this story at 5000 words, so I need to be careful. Of course, part of the revision process is chopping out fluff, but it's always good to keep your word cap in mind while writing your first draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment