Sunday, August 9, 2009

Digesting Input

Well, I think the time in the Galveston museums were well spent, I just have to wait and see if I can turn what I've learned into a story or two. There was a lot to take in, I think the most interesting being the film on the Great Flood of 1900. The stories from that event are so fantastic and horrific, it's hard to come up with something fictional that stands up to the truth, or would do that setting justice.

I've been doing a lot of research lately, mainly regarding the history of the mid and lower Brazos river and trying to find out about steam travel. The trip to Galveston helped round out some of the stuff I have learned, and I have a book coming in from the Texas A&M Press about steamboats that operated on the Brazos river itself during their heyday. It's all very interesting. I just don't know if I'm going to be able to turn all this research into a story or not. So far, the couple of ideas that have been spawned, have had to be discarded due to severe historical inaccuracies. For instance, I had an idea regarding an old steamboat smuggling goods into Texas on the night of the Great Flood, but there really wasn't anything contraband in 1900 so I can't figure out what they would be smuggling. Ah well, that's life.

Anyways, Now that I'm back I'll need to help Karla finish with the house so I can go back to writing on Monday . . .or maybe Sunday night. I'm actually kind of dry in the story department at the moment, but we'll see what comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment