Monday, November 22, 2010

The Truth Sinks In


Tomorrow is Monday.

Unlike the rest of the world, I find Monday to be one of the most glorious days of the week. For it is on Monday that the beautiful yellow school bus comes like an angelic chariot and whisks my children away to their date with education, thus leaving me with seven magnificent hours of child free peace. Seven wonderful, blissful hours.



But not this week.

Oh no, not this week. For this week they have the entire week off. The entire week. Not just Thursday and Friday like we used to when I was a kid and the world was sane. No, they get the entire week. Five days home alone with me. Five days demanding every second of attention available. Five entire days to insure that not only does Dad not get a single word written, but will probably go clinically insane.


Is this what I pay taxes for?

No it is not! The public school system has really let me down on this matter. The whole point of establishing a national public school system was so parents could send their little ones to the safety of a state sponsored education and out of the reach of adults trying to get something done. Seriously, an entire week for Thanksgiving? Look, I'm thankful...but not that thankful. If they wanted to get a whole week in their honor, the Pilgrims could have done something like inventing nachos, or football, or something other than just sitting around starving until Indians brought them corn.

 But this is my lot so I must endure. Needless to say, there will be no writing getting done this week. Perhaps that's for the best. Perhaps I should just surrender on the idea of writing and try to figure out something to do with the kids instead. It's only for a week...right?

At least until Christmas when it becomes TWO weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Just remember. Your precious, loving children PICK YOUR NURSING HOME. You might want to suck it up and be nice Dad. I've already blown it with mine. She has promised her Dad and I a cozy dog house out in the back yard. If we're lucky, the wolf will share and not make us sleep next to the gate! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that expression about an hour ago when my little one didn't want to sleep at 10:30pm. Parents need time outs, too :)

    I hope they give you a little space so you can get a few words written. That, or give you crazy story ideas when they drive you insane :)

    ReplyDelete