Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hunting the Spirit


A friend and neighbor of mine shared a few brief words as we were putting our kids on the school bus yesterday morning. She mentioned how it just didn't feel like Christmas yet to her. I understood exactly what she was talking about, as I felt pretty much the same way. Later as I recalled that brief exchange, I also considered the fact that she is an artist and I'm a writer, and I wondered if that had anything to do with it.

I realized that lately my head has been in other places, my heart in yet others, and my body sitting in a chair staring at a computer screen.  I'm never really where I am anymore lately, and that has effects. It's hard to be in the Christmas spirit when Christmas is merely a checklist of things you need to get done so you can get back to thinking and doing other things.

I know this sounds sort of funny coming on the heels of just publishing a Christmas story, but I actually wrote most of that over a month ago. I was actually in more of a Christmas spirit then...which of course meant I wasn't in the spirit of the time and place I was inhabiting at that time either. Perhaps I need to work on that. Being a writer means having to be "elsewhere" by necessity, but it wouldn't hurt to spend more time where I'm at.

So that's my point to ponder throughout today. Maybe I can find the holiday spirit, and other things, by being right where I am for a while...brain, heart, and body.

It can't hurt to try. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment