Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Submissions and Research


I finished editing "Rendered Verdict" this afternoon, and after much agonizing I submitted it to LL Dreamspell for their revenge anthology. It's always hard to hit that send button on a manuscript, because you just want to go over it one more time, to find that glaring error that escaped your notice all those times before. All the rereading in the world will never make that particular flock of stomach butterflies go away. At least for me.

But there comes a time when you just have to grit your teeth and push that button. Of course, you have to watch out that you aren't gritting your teeth and sending out the manuscript to soon (I have done that) only to discover that it really did need another going over. Argh! Welcome to the paranoia of being a writer.

After sending the manuscript off, I didn't feel like starting right off on the next story so I went to Denny's and took some books with me to do a little research for "Flight of the Lark." I make a point of paying attention to my shelved pieces and not forgetting them. Anyways, I'm going to have to work on a backstory explaining why the Lark was in Brazoria in 1900, since regular riverboat traffic pretty much ended with the sinking of the Hiawatha on the Brazos in 1895. There were still paddlewheelers in the area though, most up around Houston and Buffalo Bayou. The Alice Blair still visited the Brazos occasionally after the Hiawatha sunk, for instance. Anyways, it will fit in well with the whole "end of age" theme to the story.

Oh well, off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment